Assistant Minister for Infrastructure and Regional Development, Jamie Briggs, said "this game changing project is part of the Australian Government’s biggest ever road investment program in our nation’s history to support thousands of new jobs and reduce congestion on major freight corridors throughout Western Australia."
The four shortlisted contenders are:
- Leighton Contractors Pty Ltd
- Georgiou Group Pty Ltd and York Civil Pty Ltd as Georgiou York Joint Venture;
- John Holland Pty Ltd
- McConnell Dowell Constructors
Each proponent will now submit a detailed proposal, with an announcement of the successful contractor expected before the end of 2015.
The Tonkin Highway contract
Tonkin Grade Separations is the first section of NorthLink WA to commence, with work due to start in early 2016.
The highway provides a vital link for regional traffic movements to commercial and industrial areas such as Malaga, Kewdale, Perth Airport and the Perth CBD. In fact, up to 90,000 vehicles travel the Tonkin Highway between Collier Road and Benara Road per day.
Mr Briggs promised that "by delivering infrastructure in the current competitive marketplace, we can provide better roads for motorists and greater value for taxpayer's dollars."
The project includes:
- Upgrading the Tonkin Highway
- Providing road users with a ‘clear run’ without traffic signals
- Raising Collier Road to cross over Tonkin Highway: This will require local road modifications including road closures at Spencer Street. Access to this area will be provided by new traffic signals at Collier Road’s junction with Wright Street.
- Raising Tonkin Highway to go over Morley Drive: A large oval shaped roundabout is proposed at this location as this type of junction has been proven to reduce the numbers of serious crashes. Roundabout interchanges have been used successfully both in the Eastern States and overseas.
- Creating a flyover for Benara Road, going over the Tonkin Highway: Benara Road will no longer be directly connected to Tonkin Highway.
Once completed, the initiative will improve safety, reduce congestion and delay, and cater for future increases in traffic.
It’s a large-scale project with large-scale benefits. The PlantMiner team will be able to assist with procuring your plant hire rates including excavators, rollers, graders, trucks, and cranes – just to name a few.
An efficient quote process
Our experience in dealing with contractors of this calibre means that we have the ability to cater for all needs – including wet and dry hire. Get in touch with our WA tender specialist, Brendan Batch by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or calling 08 6313 2923 / 0425 456 207.
If you'd like to see your hire company submit rates to these contenders, list your fleet with PlantMiner.