Member for Miranda Eleni Petinos MP together with Member for Heathcote Lee Evans MP today announced the major work contract to deliver the Alfords Point Road upgrade has been awarded to Nace Civil Engineering Pty Ltd.
Ms Petinos said the upgrade is funded by the NSW Government through the Gateway to the South Pinch Point program and would provide significant benefits to the community, motorists and freight vehicles.
Nace Civil Engineering will manage delivery of the $40 million project which will include separating north and southbound traffic with a central barrier, rebuilding the road surface, building a new truck inspection area underneath Old Illawarra Road Bridge and a breakdown bay.
A total of seven businesses expressed interest in delivering the upgrade after tenders were called in September last year. With the major building contract finalised, it is expected work on the upgrade will start in April. Early work including utility investigations and ground surveys has already started.
Ms Petinos said the upgrade would complement work completed in 2011 to upgrade the northern approach of Alfords Point Road and the duplication of Alfords Point Bridge in 2008.
Photo: Alfords Point Road Upgrade, RMS Submission Report 2013
Alfords Point Road is an important key road in southern Sydney, providing access across the Georges River for motorists, commuters, cyclists and freight vehicles. Roads and Maritime Services has been working to reduce congestion, improve travel times and improve road safety on the route by completing the duplication of Alfords Point Bridge in 2008 and the opening to traffic of the Alfords Point Bridge Northern Approach in late 2011.
- A central barrier to improve safety by dividing the northbound and southbound carriageways
- Relocate the northbound bus bay on Alfords Point Road on ramp near Eucalyptus Street, to a location approximately 100 metres to the south.
- New road surface and improved drainage system
- A breakdown bay along the southbound carriageway located approximately mid way between the Georges River and Brushwood Drive
- Truck inspection area on the southbound carriageway relocated to beneath Old Illawarra Road bridge, approximately 900 metres south of Brushwood Drive
- Realign the pedestrian path on the eastern side of Alfords Point Road
- Adjust existing noise walls, possible provision of noise barriers and/or architectural treatments to address noise issues.
For those looking to put their bids forward for NSW's booming road project pipeline, we’ve created a free eBook on 10 tips to successful tendering. The content of this eBook was developed from a State Government tendering workshop so be sure to download it below to get a thorough understanding of what's going to help your business stand out from the crowd.
If you need to procure equipment quotes for your project, get in touch and we’ll dig you up rates for free.
Best of luck with the Alfords Point Road Upgrade!