Various civil works packages – worth up to $1 billion collectively – for the Woolgoolga to Ballina section of the Pacific Highway upgrade have been put to tender by New South Wales and Australian governments.
According to Federal Minister for Infrastructure and Transport Darren Chester, the latest release of tenders is a major milestone for this upgrade project, with the investments already made to the Pacific Highway upgrade delivering a reduction in road fatalities.
“Work is underway on about 90 kilometres of the upgrade and the award of these tenders will result in the full 155 kilometres being under construction. For decades the duplication of the Pacific Highway has been a pipe dream for the communities along its length – with this Federal and State coalition governments we are delivering on our commitment,” said NSW Minister for Roads, Maritime and Freight Duncan Gay.
Kevin Hogan, Federal Member for Page, said that both the Australian and State Governments are on track in delivering a fully duplicated Pacific Highway by 2020 – between Hexham and the Queensland border.
“The work has been divided into five contract packages so works can proceed simultaneously, ensuring the project opens to traffic on time in 2020. Just as important is the jobs divided for the entire region, with millions of dollars flowing through the local economy and even more to come thanks to these contracts,” Mr Hogan said.
According to NSW Member for Clarence Chris Gulaptis, the upcoming works have opened up tonnes of opportunities for businesses and workers in the region.
“The release of this work to the market means that the vast majority of the major contracts for the Woolgoolga to Ballina upgrade will either be issued for tender or evaluated by the end of the year, helping the project to achieve its target to open to traffic by 2020, weather permitting,” said Mr Gulaptis.
Some of the shortlisted companies asked to tender for the packages and mentioned by Minister Chester include:
- BGC Contracting Pty Ltd
- Bielby Holdings Pty Ltd
- BMD Constructions Pty Ltd
- CPB Contractors Pty Ltd - awarded Pimlico to Teven
- Daracon Contractors Pty Ltd
- FK Gardner & Sons Pty Ltd - awarded Soft Soil (Wave 3) Shark Creek to Maclean treatmant work and early work activities
- Georgiou Group Pty Ltd
- Golding Contractors Pty Ltd - awarded Soft Soil (Wave 1) Farlows Lane to Chatsworth Road
- Lendlease Engineering Pty Ltd
- OHL Construction Pacific Pty Ltd - awarded Woolgoolga to Halfway Creek (Section 1) in joint venture with York
- Acciona Ferrovial Joint Venture - awarded contract to design and build new 1.5 km bridge at Harwood
- Seymour Whyte Ostwald Joint Venture - awarded Early Works Wave 5A (Wooli to Tyndale)
- See Civil Pty Ltd - awarded Soft Soil (Wave 2) Whytes Lane to Pimlico Road
- Civil Mining & Construction Pty Ltd - awarded Halfway Creek to Glenugie (Section 2)
Watch this space for more updates on this major road project by subscribing to the PlantMiner blog today.