Suburbs across Melbourne will be getting less congested and more reliable arterial roads with the Victorian Budget 2018/19's $2.2 billion investment in the Suburban Roads Upgrade package, which will upgrade 13 arterial roads in the northern and south-eastern suburbs.
“This is the single biggest investment in suburban roads in Victoria’s history, to fix local roads and get people home sooner,” Minister for Roads and Road Safety Luke Donnellan said.
This multi-billion dollar package of works is in addition to last year’s budget investment of $1.8 billion for the Western Roads Upgrade.
Up to $1 billion from the budget will be spent to widen and improve safety on roads in the northern suburbs - including Sunbury Road, Craigieburn Road, Epping Road and Childs Road.
Stage two of the Yan Yean Road duplication will also be delivered under the Northern Roads Upgrade, which will also involve upgrading Bridge Inn Road in Doreen.
The South Eastern Roads Upgrade package of works will be delivering massive road improvements that will support the growing community in Melbourne’s south-eastern suburbs. Roads to be upgraded will include Healesville-Koo Wee Rup Road in Pakenham, Lathams Road in Carrum Downs, Narre Warren-Cranbourne Road in Cranbourne and Pound Road West in Dandenong South.
“This will slash travel times, improve connections between our fastest growing communities and give local roads back to local residents,” Premier Daniel Andrews said.
The Major Road Projects Authority - a dedicated authority established by the Victorian Government to deliver the more than $14.9 billion pipeline of major roads projects - will be overseeing the delivery of the Suburban Roads Upgrade package of works over a five-year period.
Below is a list of projects included in the Suburban Roads Upgrade.
Northern Roads Upgrade:
- Duplicate Craigieburn Road between Mickleham Road and Hume Highway in Craigieburn
- Widening Sunbury Road from two lanes to four lanes between Powlett Street and Bulla-Diggers Rest Road in Sunbury
- Duplicating Bridge Inn Road between Plenty Road and Yan Yean Road, and Yan Yean Road between Kurrak Road and Bridge Inn Road in Doreen
- Duplicating Epping Road from two to four lanes between Craigieburn Road East and Memorial Avenue
- Upgrading three intersections at Main Road, Porter Street and Foote Street on Fitzsimons Lane in Eltham
- Duplicating Childs Road in Mill Park from Beaumont Crescent to Prince of Wales Avenue
South Eastern Roads Upgrade:
- Duplicating Healesville-Koo Wee Rup Road in Pakenham from two to four lanes between Princes Freeway and Manks Road
- Duplicating Narre Warren-Cranbourne Road in Cranbourne from two to four lanes between Thompsons Road and South Gippsland Highway
- Duplicating Lathams Road in Seaford from two to four lanes between Oliphant Way and Dandenong-Frankston Road, including a new bridge over Peninsula Link
- Widening Pound Road West/Remington Drive in Dandenong South from two to four lanes between Abbotts Road and South Gippsland Highway, with a new bridge over the Cranbourne rail line
- Duplicating Hallam North Road from two to four lanes between Heatherton Road and James Cook Drive
- Intersection and road safety upgrades on Golf Links Road from Peninsula Link to Baxter-Tooradin Road and Grant Road from Baxter-Tooradin Road to Frankston-Flinders Road in Langwarrin South
- Upgrading two intersections with traffic lights on Thompsons Road in Cranbourne
Western Roads Upgrade from the 2017/18 State Budget:
- Widening Dunnings Road from two to four lanes and Palmers Road between Point Cook Road to Princes Freeway from two to six lanes in Point Cook
- Widening Palmers Road between Princes Freeway to Western Freeway from two to four lanes in Truganina
- Duplicating Derrimut Road between Sayers Road and Dohertys Road from two to four lanes in Tarneit
- Widening Leakes Road between Fitzgerald Road and Derrimut Road from two to four lanes in Truganina
- Duplicating Dohertys Road between Fitzgerald Road and Grieve parade from two to four lanes in Laverton North
- Widening Dohertys Road between Foundation Road and Palmers Road from two to four lanes in Truganina
- Widening the Forsyth Road/Princes Freeway interchange in Hoppers Crossing
- Rebuilding the bridge and adding new entry and exit ramps at the Duncans Road/Princes Freeway interchange in Werribee South
Watch this space for the latest industry news and project updates by subscribing to the PlantMiner blog today.
Source: Premier of Victoria