Australia's demand for infrastructure is skyrocketing. With an anticipated national population of 30.5 billion in 2031, our four biggest cities will grow by 45%. We are moving towards enormous urban communities and Infrastructure Australia urged "it's crucial to act now, before productivity and living standards are impacted."
The civil construction industry will see a colossal deal of interest. Training will be the essential mandate for anyone setting foot on a construction site, including employees, self-employed persons, managers, professional consultants, engineers, surveyors, truck drivers, landscape gardeners and on-site cleaners.
In short, civil construction will demand a skilled industry for the future.
So how can a quality workforce provide a competitive edge?
We've spoken with Civil Train Queensland (RTO number: 5708) who share the core elements needed to deliver industry specific, relevant and flexible training for your business.
Civil Train is a nationally recognised Registered Training Organisation (RTO) and the training division of the Civil Federation Queensland Branch (CCF QLD). As Queensland's market leader in delivering training within the industry, there is no better company to ask.
1. Collaborating with industry experts and stakeholders
Seek training by those who live and breathe civil construction. A facilitator should work directly with the industry to develop and deliver the best training possible.
Our clients benefit from the fact that we know civil construction training; it's all we do. We offer authentic training by the industry, for the industry. What's more is that because we are the training division of CCF QLD, we have a direct link to engage in strong industry partnerships; a unique point of difference from other RTO's within the industry - Tamara Vidal, General Manager - Civil Train
2. Industry trained and experienced professionals
Your training body should consist of a team of professionals who are industry trained, qualified, experienced and employ innovative training delivery methods.
For these reasons, Civil Train is the educator of choice for civil construction companies and their employees. "Our team's goal is to assist students to reach their full potential through exceptional services, accessibility and sharing of knowledge. We are based in regions all over Queensland, and will come to you for practical and flexible on-the-job training, minimising costs and workplace disruptions".
3. Access to state-of-the-art training facilities
A training course is only as good as it's practical application to your business. You should have the best facilities that training providers have to offer. For example, Civil Train prides itself on your access to:
- the Queensland Civil Industry Training Centre, Brisbane, comprising of: an 84 seat theatre; a computer laboratory; plant simulators; small tools training room; confined space and trench shoring training facilities; specialised training rooms, fully equipped with audio visual equipment and smart boards
- the Queensland Civil Industry Training Centre, Townsville, comprising of: plant simulator; training and meeting rooms; confined space, working at heights and trench shoring simulation facilities
- the Civil Train Mobile Training unit; a portable facility that can be transported to locations across Queensland, comprising of; a plant simulator, learning areas and computers
4. Complying with relevant training regulations
No two individuals have the same training requirements, so it's important to identify your specific needs and create personalised training solutions that are effective for your business.
Civil Train's nationally recognised qualifications are designed to increase recognition in the workplace, build staff skill levels, improve overall job satisfaction and build your business capability. Their courses include:
- RII20113 Certificate II in Resources and Infrastructure Work Preparation
- RII20713 Certificate II in Civil Construction
- RII30813 Certificate III in Civil Construction Plant Operations
- RII31213 Certificate III in Civil Construction Foundations
- RII30913 Certificate III in Civil Construction including: Stream 1 Bituminous Surfacing, Stream 2 Bridge Construction and Maintenance, Stream 3 Pipe Laying, Stream 4 Road Construction and Maintenance and Stream 8 Civil Construction General
- RII40613 Certificate IV in Civil Construction Operations
- RII40713 Certificate IV in Civil Construction Supervision
Civil Train also offers both accredited and non-accredited short courses:
- RIIWHS202D Enter and work in confined spaces
- RIIWHS204D Work safely at heights
- RIIWHS205D Control traffic with stop-slow bat
- Traffic Management Implmentation (formerly level 2 Traffic Management)
- Metered standpipe operation (Queensland Urban Utilities)
- RIICCM208D Carry out basic levelling
- RICCM201D Carry out measurements and calculations
- Breathing Apparatus
- First Aid
- Foundation contracts course: understanding construction contracts and traps a pitfalls
- Advanced contracts course: civil construction
- Building and Construction Industry Payments Act
- Personal Property Securities Act: a beginner's guide
The short courses are ideal for those who want to further develop their skills and up skill in specific areas.
When there are times that the training product available doesn't suit your business needs, Civil Train offers unique tailored training solutions designed specifically for you.
With a skilled workforce required for the future growth of the industry, PlantMiner wants to help. For the lucky participant, we are offering the opportunity to win a fully-paid Civil Train Queensland short course of your choosing. Check out Civil Construction Courses Jun - Dec 2015, To enter, fill in the form below and describe in 25 words or less what training and upskilling in civil construction means to you. As per our terms and conditions, the competition will conclude on June 19th 2015.
After all, training must be relevant, flexible and cost effective.
You should know that this post is sponsored by Civil Train QLD, however all opinions are our own.