A new major milestone has been reached by the Denny Avenue Level Crossing Removal Project in Western Australia as Downer EDI gets appointed to deliver the road component of this METRONET development.
“Denny Avenue is the first of up to eight level crossings to be removed as part of METRONET, with all but one on the Armadale train line.
“This project will not only remove a dangerous crossing and reduce road congestion, it will also give locals an enhanced Kelmscott town centre to enjoy,” Transport Minister Rita Saffioti said.
In addition, the Denny Avenue project will be one of the six METRONET projects that will go under construction this year.
The road works package will include realigning Third Avenue and lowering Davis Road under the elevated rail line as well as new cul-de-sacs for Third and Slee avenues and works on Albany Highway. This project will also involve widening Davis Road and installation of three sets of traffic lights at the Albany Highway, Streich Avenue and Railway Avenue intersections.
A civic infrastructure component will be delivered as well to revitalise the Kelmscott town centre together with extensive landscaping and tree planting.
“The Denny Avenue level crossing is a major concern for Kelmscott residents - it is dangerous and difficult to cross.
“Once completed the level crossing removal will create a more vibrant Kelmscott town centre and make crossing safer,” Armadale MLA Tony Buti said.
Major construction on this project is anticipated to commence by mid-2020.
In December 2019, Downer EDI was also awarded the rail component of the Denny Avenue Level Crossing Removal Project. You can read more about it here.
The entire project will include:
- Permanently closing the level crossing at Denny Avenue
- Constructing a rail-over-road underpass by gradually raising the rail and sinking Davis Road under the elevated rail line
- Extending Davis Road to Third Avenue to maintain the important east/west connection for motorists, cyclists and pedestrians
- Widening Davis Road to accommodate up to four lanes of traffic - two in each direction
- Installing traffic lights at Davis Road intersection at Albany Highway, Streich and Railway avenue, and also at the Gilwell Avenue / Albany Highway intersection
- Removing the existing traffic lights along Denny Avenue at Albany Highway, Streich and Railway avenues
- Upgrading Albany Highway to include two new signalized intersections and provide new turning lanes for Davis Road and Steich Avenue
- Creating a walk/cycle path over the new Davis Road underpass on the Railway Avenue side of the rail line
- Turning sections of Third and Slee avenues into cul-de-sacs
- Civic improvements and road landscaping to revitalise the Kelmscott town centre including refurbishing Station Masters House and land development opportunities
Subscribe to the PlantMiner blog today to stay up to date with the latest industry news and project updates.