This project aims to upgrade vital irrigation infrastructure in the State and its key features and benefits include:
- Creating water savings for environmental use across the Goulburn Murray Irrigation District
- Develop modernised infrastructure that will extract the maximum amount of value from available water
- Assisting irrigation communities in the Goulburn Murray Irrigation District to adapt to reduced water availability and build a sustainable future for productive agriculture
- Creating employment and opportunity for local Contractors and Communities
- Enhancing the environment locally, and across the Murray Darling Basin
According to John Holland Chief Executive Officer Joe Barr, the GMW Connections Project will help bring important benefits in water security for Victoria’s local farmers.
“The Murray Darling Basin is the largest water system in Australia, contributing 40% of the gross value of agricultural production on our nation and supplying water to over two million Australians. We look forward to working with irrigators and communities to enhance the security of this most precious resource,” Mr Barr said.
Trevor Hall, John Holland’s Regional General Manager, said that the company welcomes this opportunity to works with GMW as well as the local regional Victorian community.
“The GMW Connections Project is the most significant irrigation upgrade in Victoria’s history.
“We thank Goulburn Murray Water and the State Government for the opportunity to work with landowners, local communities and other key stakeholders to deliver this phase of the project on behalf of Goulburn Murray Water and the State Government,” Mr Hall said.
Construction on the project is expected to commence in the coming months, with the entire Connection Project due to be completed by October 2020.
Receive the latest industry news and project updates straight to your inbox by subscribing to the PlantMiner newsletter today.