Improved traffic flow, safety and freight productivity as well as reduced congestion will be delivered through an expanded scope of the Port Wakefield Overpass and Duplication Project in South Australia.
The now $122.5 million development is expected to support up 95 jobs annually over the life of the project.
“South Australians have been waiting decades for the notorious ‘crash corner’ at Port Wakefield to be fixed and the Marshall Government is delivering an even bigger and better solution.
“This dangerous intersection has claimed too many lives and unfortunately we’ve had more fatalities at this intersection this year,” Minister for Transport, Infrastructure and Local Government Stephan Knoll said.
The expanded project will now include:
- Two lanes in each direction through the Port Wakefield Township with provisions for safe U-turn movements
- A realigned dual carriageway through the Port Wakefield Township, allowing for increased parking and landscaping opportunities, as well as safer vehicle and pedestrian movements - making it safer to build and reduce disruption to motorists during construction
- A realigned Balaklava Road intersection with the port Wakefield Highway, allowing for safer turn movements
- New bridges across the Wakefield River
- A new two-lane overpass for traffic traveling southbound from the Copper Coast Highway to Port Wakefield, and for traffic travelling along the Augusta Highway to the Copper Coast Highway
- The new overpass will remove all hazardous at-grade turn movements at the intersection of the Port Wakefield Highway, Copper Coast Highway and Augusta Highway
“Following detailed design work and consultation with the local community, the project has been expanded to include a two-way overpass and other safety improvements.
“Importantly, this new design will remove all hazardous at-grade turn movements of the Port Wakefield Highway, Copper Coast Highway and Augusta Highway,” Mr Knoll said.
Major construction is anticipated to commence in 2020 and is due to be completed in 2022.
Earlier this year, tenders and expressions of interest were released to market for three key regional road project - including the Port Wakefield Overpass and Duplication Project. You can read more about it here.
Stay up to date with the latest industry news and project updates by subscribing to the PlantMiner blog today.