BMD Constructions Pty Ltd has been awarded to design and construct the 3.9-kilometre road upgrade.
“Yan Yean Road is a vital arterial road for our community – that’s why we’re investing in this important upgrade so that people can get to where they need to be safer and sooner.
“With the contract now awarded, I look forward to seeing work on the Yan Yean Road Upgrade as it is desperately needed,” Member for Yan Yean Danielle Green said.
As part of this project, Yan Yean Road is going to be widened from two to four lanes – between Diamond Creek and Kurrak Road – as well as upgrade works to the River Avenue, Kurrak Road and Diamond Creek Road intersections.
This upgrade will also include:
- A 2.2-metre median along the length of the road
- Safety barriers to reduce the risk and impact of run-off-road crashes
- A wider and safer shared user path on the western side of the road
- A dedicated bus lane at the Yan Yean and Diamond Creek Road intersection
- Replacing the existing roundabout with new traffic lights at the Yan Yean and Kurrak Road intersection
- New refuge islands to connect pedestrians with bus stops
- Straightening the road for better driver visibility
Works are expected to commence in late 2017 and be completed by mid-2019.
“We’re getting on with the job of fixing Yan Yean Road for the thousands of people across the outer northern suburbs who rely on it every day.
“This vital upgrade will improve safety and reduce congestion so that people can spend less time stuck in traffic and more time at home,” Minister for Roads Luke Donnellan said.
Subscribe to the PlantMiner blog today to stay up to date with the latest industry news and project updates.