NSW is hitting the ball out of the park with their new construction plan, focused towards embracing and nurturing the country's sporting culture. The belief that NSW stadiums are contributors to the economy through tourism, business investment and employment are the main drivers behind this game changing project proposal.
The NSW government acknowledges that Australian sport is a way of life, community building and a source of fun and excitement in the lives of many. This project is valued at more than $1 billion and is estimated to be completed over the next ten years.
The revolutionary plan – which will ensure ANZ Stadium remains Sydney’s home of major events – includes:
- Redevelopment of the 80,000-seat ANZ Stadium, bringing fans closer to the action. The Government will consider the option of a retractable roof to weather-proof events;
- A new rectangular stadium at Parramatta with 30,000 seats;
- A new rectangular stadium at Moore Park with 50,000 to 55,000 seats;
- A new indoor arena near the CBD;
- A new outer western Sydney sporting venue; and
- The completion of the SCG upgrade.
“This is a Government committed to Rebuilding NSW and the investment of more than $1 billion in Sydney’s major sporting stadiums will pave the way for NSW to remain Australia’s No.1 state for sport and events,” Mr Kerry said.
The NSW Government’s funding commitment will enable ANZ Stadium at Sydney Olympic Park to evolve into a world-class rectangular arena, with fans dramatically closer to the action for football, rugby league and rugby union – supercharging the game-day atmosphere.
The redesign explores the possibility of either:
- Installing movable grandstands at the Northern and Southern ends of the stadium to move fans within 5m of the action and increasing the steepness of the seating.
- A complete redevelopment of the stadium, converting it into a permanent rectangular stadium bringing the front row fans within 5m of the action as well as bring all seats across the stadium closer.
- The works completed on the WestConnex motorway will bring significant improvements in travel time between the CBD and Sydney Olympic Park.
- The potential for the construction of a light rail route bringing fans to the front gate of ANZ stadium.
- The aim of creating a lively stadium atmosphere with the addition of shops, cafes, bars, eateries and restaurants.
- The construction of precincts for residential and commercial use.
The ANZ Stadium project will bring with it an array of opportunities for plant, equipment and subcontractor suppliers with a range of works being completed. Find out how you can improve your chances of winning work by checking out the infograph below.