The $711 million Monash Freeway Upgrade Stage 2 is another step closer to construction with three shortlisted contractors announced and invited to submit tenders to deliver works to bust congestion on the freeway.
In July of this year, this multi-million dollar upgrade was added as a high-priority project to the Infrastructure Priority List.
“This will drastically improve travel times for more drivers in Melbourne’s south east,” Minister for Cities, Urban Infrastructure and Population Alan Tudge said.
The second stage of the Monash Freeway Upgrade will include:
- New lanes along a 36-kilometre stretch of the Monash and Princes Freeways between Warrigal Road and Eastlink outbound; Eastlink to Springvale Road inbound; and Clyde Road to Cardinia Road in both directions
- Connecting Police Road to the freeway with an outbound on-ramp
- Connecting the Jacksons Road outbound ramps directly to Eastlink with a separate road
- Adding an extra lane in each direction to O’Shea Road between Clyde Road and Soldiers Road
- Upgrading the Beaconsfield Interchange, extending O’Shea Road to join the interchange as well as add an inbound freeway off-ramp and outbound freeway on-ramp
- Construction of shared walking and cycling paths on O’Shea Road between Clyde Road and the Beaconsfield Interchange
Source: Major Road Projects Authority
According to Victorian Minister for Roads and Road Safety Luke Donnellan, this project will help enable motorists to get to their destinations quicker.
“By adding extra lanes where they’re needed, drivers will spend nine minutes less time stuck in traffic during a peak hour trip from Pakenham to the City,” Mr Donnellan said.
The Monash Freeway Upgrade Stage 2 is expected to support up to 600 jobs during its construction phase.
Work on the upgrade is set to commence in 2019, with completion due in mid-2022.
The second stage of the Monash Freeway Upgrade is jointly funded by the Australian and Victorian Governments, with each contributing $500 million and $211 million respectively.
Subscribe to the PlantMiner blog today to stay up to date with the latest industry news and project updates.