WBHO Mcllwain, a joint venture of WBHO Infrastructure and Mcllwain Civil Engineering, have been awarded the $103.8 million duplication of Tourle Street and Cormorant Road at Kooragang Island. The project is set to improve traffic flow and cater for the future increases in traffic.
Construction is expected to start in May 2016 and end in late 2018. Jointly funded by the Australian and NSW governments, the project will duplicate 3.8 kilometers of Tourle Street and Cormorant Road, Mayfield West and Egret Street, Kooragang which also includes the construction of a second bridge over the Hunter River.
"The Australian and New South Wales governments have each committed more than $51 million to the project to improve traffic flow and cater for future growth." - Warren Truss, Deputy Prime Minister and Minister for Infrastructure & Regional Development.
The key features include:
- Duplicating 3.8 kilometres of Tourle Street and Cormorant Road between Industrial Drive, Mayfield West and Egret Street, Kooragang to provide two lanes in each direction
- A new two lane bridge over the Hunter River on the western side of the existing bridge
- Provision of 2.5 metre shoulders along Cormorant Road to cater for on-road cyclists
- Minimising impact on the Long Pond by mainly widening the road on the southern side of the existing Cormorant Road
- Maintaining access to existing businesses along Cormorant Road
- Catering for future industrial development on Kooragang Island next to the existing road.
As the main corridor connecting Kooragang Island to Newcastle and the Southern section of the Port of Newcastle, approximately 33,000 vehicles use the Tourle Street and Cormorant Road corridor each day. Due to the urban development in Port Stephans, the expansion of Newcastle Airport, and growth of industrial development on Kooragang Island, there will be significant growth in traffic flow through this corridor. Roads and Maritime announced they had engaged WBHO Mcllwain for the duplication to ensure the corridor has the capacity to support the future growth in traffic.
Potential plant and equipment required for this project includes:
Equipment hire is a fundamental part of any project. Make it easy for people looking for your gear by preparing your capability statement and showcasing your business capabilities in a simple easy to read document. Use this free eBook as a guide for preparing a business capability statement.